Sunday, March 1, 2009

Letting Go of Creative Control

I've written before about the amazing MyFonts newsletter and its' "Faces Behind the Fonts" feature. An issue came out yesterday about artist Cyrus Highsmith (who created the accompanying `sketch book' sketch in his sketch book) and he says some powerful things about drawing, teaching and his mom. What he says, below, about creative control -- or lack of control -- was so beautifullly put, and so profound, that it would make a good mantra, or prayer, or note to stick on your workspace:

"...I don’t really know where my ideas come from. It is terrifying in this sense. I am a pretty disciplined person but there is a part of my creative process that is out of my control and I just have to be grateful for it when it works."

1 comment:

Tammie Lee said...

I love how honest and raw this comment is.