
Not so long ago, I went to sign copies of my new novel at bookstores all over Los Angeles. I took copies of books with me to give to booksellers, because, believe it or not, the people who work in bookstores don't often actually get to read the books they sell. Think about it: if they crack open the new Jodi Picoult or Stephen King, then it's damaged goods. At one particular Barnes aand Noble whose location shall remain a secret, I met a lovely young bookseller whose eyes lit up when I told her what my book was about -- art and artistst and inspiration. I asked her if there was someone in the store she thought might particularly like to read it, and she said, "I would!" We chatted for awhile, and I learned that this bookseller had a degree in art history. She was still debating whether or not she could make a go of making art. My book was, in other words, written for her. So I signed a copy for her, wished her well, and left. Well. Just the other day, I got this note -- which is a testimony not just to the author's sweet spirit, but to how, so often, creative people just need a little inpiration. I am so pleased that in this case, on this day, I got to provide it. The painting posted with this note is Janina's "We Live Like Vampires, We Love Like Killer." It's acrylic on canvas, 47" x 39"
Hi Jennie!
It was really an honor getting to meet you. And a true treat getting a personalized autographed copy of your book "The Only True Genius in the Family".
Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down! I agree with you that I was the perfect reader, because I was able to relate so well to the events that happened in the novel. From Claire's journey of realizing what kind of genius she was to the evident talent that Bailey was born with, I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and diving into their experiences. I loved the relationship that was, that broke, and was rekindled between Claire and Bailey - a true mother-daughter relationship that any mom and daughter could relate to. It definitely reminded me of some of the harder times that I've had to deal with having my family understand my passion for art and the wish that I could be a successful artist and not have to "work" for a living. It reminded me that as long as I have a drive for something, a passion to create, I can do anything in life - even if I hit some bumps in the road. I've passed the book on to my mom to read next. I think that she'll get to understand a little more about how I feel about my art and hopefully the artist in her will help her to relate to what I strive for in my life.
Again, it was a pleasure meeting you. I look forward to your next works of "true genius".
Thank you for the book and the lovely note,
Janina Gricius
Aspiring Artist
No comments:
Post a Comment