From a piece on the ShelfAwareness blog, here's this blurb about a well-known bookseller making peace with the fact that she isn't making money hand-over-fist. It's a dilemma every creative-minded person faces -- do I do what I love, or do I do something that is sure to make money? I love Roxanne Coady's answer. You can click on the link to read the whole piece.
"If you can be lucky enough to do something that you're passionate about and be business-like about it to make it profitable, that's the home run. I have not quite mastered that. I continue to have the business be tilted to heart. It's not a very economically sound model running this bookstore . . . but I've now resolved that it's good enough for me to have the pleasure of doing what I care so much about."--Roxanne Coady, owner of R.J. Julia Booksellers, Madison, Conn., in an interview with Hartford Books Examiner.
1 comment:
Passion is what drives me to inspire folks to honor a loved with a bio-vignette, and I'm hoping someday there will be tipping point.
By the way, I couldn't read the rest of your article - error page came up. I'll look back later.
Thanks, and keep following your heart - at least it feels good!
Post a Comment