
Yesterday I received an email, forwarded to me by one of my best friends, about a world famous violinist who played for 45 minutes at a Washington D.C. metro stop. For his efforts, he got $32 worth of donations, some of it in pennies. Most passersby didn't stop, didn't appear to listen, didn't care. I was astounded by this little piece because it's an idea that's been in my head for a long time -- this actual idea about a famous musician playing in a subway station -- and here it was written out and being passed around the Internet. I learned that the email snippet originated in an article in The Washington Post . It was written by Gene Weingarten, a Times staff writer, and to my utter chagrin, I learned tht it had won a Pulitzer Prize. How could I have missed a Pulitzer-Prize winning article on a topic that had already captured my imagination? I have no idea. At any rate, it's a spectacular piece of writing about an amazing experiment. It all happened more than a year ago; I obviously missed it then. Thanks to Internet forwarding, I got it now -- and I'm not letting it go! There are so many fascinating things to say about this idea, this article and this experiment, and I will be trying to say some of them over my next few posts.
First....the basic question. IF A GREAT MUSICIAN PLAYS GREAT MUSIC BUT NO ONE HEARS . . . WAS HE REALLY ANY GOOD? Here's how Weingarten frames it near the start of his piece:
"It's an old epistemological debate, older, actually, than the koan about the tree in the forest. Plato weighed in on it, and philosophers for two millennia afterward: What is beauty? Is it a measurable fact (Gottfried Leibniz), or merely an opinion (David Hume), or is it a little of each, colored by the immediate state of mind of the observer (Immanuel Kant)?"
So...what do you think? If you're someone invovled in a creative act of any kind -- knitting, sewing, beading, writing, movie-making -- what is your definition of beauty?
1 comment:
maybe its just when you feel the
beauty yourself. the musician surely wasn't playing to make himself feel good, he knows his gift and he took his gift somewhere it was needed...
your story reminds of a time i lay on the beach with my husband, watching birds fly overhead...i was thinking, how cool to be a bird...oh! to make a movie of a birdseye view of life...went home and my mother was all a-chatter about some new movie coming out called "migration"..haha!
Post a Comment