Sunday, January 4, 2009

Music Soothes the Writing Soul


On today's Los Angeles Times music blog, Pop & Hiss, there is a piece by August Brown called "The Noisy Muse." Brown is the editor of an anthology called Noise, which includes work inspired by the New York band, Sonic Youth. Writers have always been inspired by music -- here's a link to a BrainyQuotes pages featuring some great things writers have said on the topic
-- but what about actually listening to music while you write? Brown says he uses music, particularly the instense music of Sonic Youth, to bust out of writing blocks: "You have this idea of the writer in their Parisian garret, but so many of them need something to stir them...When I can't figure out how to get from point A to point B, I always play music, and Sonic Youth is like a puzzle that offers many different routes for an author to travel."

I love that idea -- even though I can't personally do it. I have to "hear" the words I'm writing, and music gets in the way. But it makes me happy to think of a writer sitting there letting the music free his words.

No comments: