Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cross Pollination: Jewelry from Poetry

This is a picture of a bead. Isn't it spectacular? It was made by jeweler Pam Brisse, who is often inspired by words. Here's what she says:

"Inspiration is the easy part, it’s everywhere! I find it in the obvious places, of course, like nature and other art works, but I also find a lot of inspiration in words and books. Children’s books speak to me the most - my son and I read a lot and there is always a story or illustration that says “make me into a bead!” For example, Dav Pilkey’s Dragon’s Halloween inspired my Spooky Halloween Tree beads last year. Charms for Easy Life by Kaye Gibbons inspired a line of bead charms a few years ago that were very popular – I thought, `wouldn’t it be great to have a charm for an easy life; everyone should have one' – and so that was that. And then there is the name of my business which was inspired by a poem of the same name by Kristine George The Blue Between. I’d been searching for the perfect name for awhile. I wanted something not-too-specific, because I like to change directions every once in awhile, and I wanted something that spoke to living artistically. Kristine’s poem was exactly it, and it serves as a reminder of how I want to live my life as well. Movies too, have power to inspire my art. A couple of weeks ago I saw the Imax movie Mysteries of the Nile and the next day a whole batch of tribal/African beads were created. Currently, I’m back to one of my main themes, which is the ocean – starfish, octopus, sea urchins, sand and sea -- but it could change any time, because as I said, inspiration is the easy part; it’s the staying focused long enough to create something from it that takes work!"

Go visit Pam's site. She makes amazing stuff!

3 comments:

Louise said...

Pam this bead is incredible, and now I have to go and search for the blue between - you have me wondering what the poem is like ;)

Rita'z R-tistic Ramblez said...

Pam IS an amazing jewelry artist. Thanks for featuring her fine work and her inspiration!!!

Unknown said...

You're welcome! I'm having so much fun meeting so many cool artists