Thursday, August 20, 2009

Would You Take a Gig Writing in an Airport?

Here's a headline I bet you'd NEVER thought you'd see:

Heathrow airport hires Alain de Botton
Philosophical author begins work as airport's writer-in-residence


This is from an article in The Guardian. It will blow your mind. The airport hired the well-known author to sit in the terminal and write. They're publishing 10,000 copies of his book and giving them away to travellers for free. It's the strangest thing I've ever heard, but I love it! I mean, why not??

Create with integrity, market with abandon. That's my motto! I know that if I were ever asked to sit in an airport or a grocery store or a Victoria's Secret store or Target and write for a week, I would say YES in a heartbeat! Would you??? Could you???

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd do it - but fear I'd end up focused on one individual's story instead of keeping the big picture of "travelers" or "Target shoppers." wish I was going through Heathrow sometime soon just to see his work in progress.

Lisa said...

As long as he's got no restrictions on what he writes, more power to him. Now if everything is just jolly during his week there and he writes that, there will always be questions.

Anonymous said...

I read something like this entry about an author writing in an airport and I think "why didn't I think of that?" the whole conventional thing on writing is shfiting, and I'm delighted.
Oh yeah, I'd sit there and write. Note that in its way, it's swinging back to the artist having a patron. Not a bad thing, not at all!

Lisa said...

Very excited--put in a request to the library today for "Raising A Reader" and "The Last Beach Bungalow!"