Monday, February 16, 2009

Born to Paint the Walls


Faux finisher Regina Garay stumbled upon her creative passion, but the fact that she took it up and turned it into a rich and varied career was hardly accidental. Today, the company Regina founded is one of the most highly respected and creative team of faux finishing and Venetian Plaster artists. Here's how it all began:

"In 1994, while involved in pursuing a music career, I became roommates with a film industry Scenic Artist. When I moved in, she suggested a terrific wall finish for my room and as we painted, something awoke deep within -- it was as if I had just met my true love but didn't quite realize it. Throughout the next few years, I started buying decorative painting books and amassed quite a collection. Later, when disenchanted with the music industry, I sat myself down and idly picked up a few books to look through while I thought of a new life direction. As I paged through book after book of paint finishes, I experienced a sudden and clear epiphany. I thought: I'll do walls! Who would have thought that a collection of books -- whose subject was so dear to me -- would become my muse? In 1998, I started my faux finishing career and launched Garay Artisans, Inc. Since then, my siblings have joined me and we now offer a wide array of services and count the owners of beautiful residences, boutiques and hotels as some of our clientele. This is what I was BORN to do."

One small example of the way Regina continues to be inspired can be seen in the "Before" and "After" photos. The photo, above, is the door from Italy. The photo to the left is the door it inspired:
"I took a trip to Italy with my sister," Regina says, "and while wandering in Mantova, caught sight of this door. It was so beautiful that I took a quick snap and vowed to one day have the idea of it inspire a finish for a client. Within months (funny how that works), I had a client who wanted a unique way of showcasing the entrance to their wine cellar."
See what I mean? That kind of creativity -- the kind that is always seeing, thinking, connecting -- is no accident. To view more of Regina's work, check out her website http://www.garayartisans.com/ and blog: http://www.garayartisans.com/

3 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

It is wonderful to ponder that a muse can come from anywhere in any moment. That it can be all the little steps we take that get us to a passion, an expression, a way to share and move in the world.

Unknown said...

I love all your comments! Thanks!

Regina at Fauxology said...

Thank you very much for the beautiful profile! I wrote about in on my Fauxology blog. Have a wonderful day!